The Cake Architect is back! After three months of busy school work and exams I am now free and will be dedicating as much time as possible to blogging and trying out new recipes. Normal blog posts will be uploaded every Friday.
A couple of days ago I had a great red velvet cupcake from Walnut and Thyme a beautiful shop/cafe in Cascavelle, a shopping mall west of the island. It inspired me to create my own version of a red velvet cake topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting. I really wanted to bake a Mauritian take of this cake and therefore decided to use my basic Mauritian Massepain recipe as a base. From there I worked up by adding the necessary ingredients for a red velvet cake.
For frosting I went for the typical cream cheese frosting because nothing else goes better with red velvet than cream cheese. Due to the hot summer in Mauritius right now the frosting heated up relatively quickly and did not have the consistency that I was looking for. But putting it in the fridge for a while would solve this problem.
Also I have finally learned how to properly level a cake. If you have seen the images from my first massepain post then you will know what I am talking about! I followed the technique from “How To Cake It” an incredible youtube channel by Yolanda Gampp who makes the most extraordinary cakes. Her cakes ranges from watermelons to burgers. I could watch her videos all day!
Now on to the recipe!
Red Velvet Massepain
- 125 g Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 pack of butter
- 3 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 70 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 drops red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Grease a cake tin
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Whisk the eggs and add a little at a time until incorporated
- Sift the self-raising flour and cocoa powder and mix thoroughly
- Add vanilla essence and milk and mix
- Next add the red food colouring and mix until combined
- Put in the oven for 45 mins or use a stick to check whether centre has been cooked (the stick should come out clean)
- Remove from oven and leave to cool (so we can top it up with frosting after!)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 packed of cream cheese
- 50 g of icing sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and butter until combined
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Spread on cake
- Serve and enjoy!
Hope you enjoyed this post!
– The Cake Architect