A year absence.
For a long time I did not know where this blog was heading. Around this time last year I was preparing to go to university. Whilst I had convinced myself that I would continue to blog and even become consistent on a weekly basis, this fell short of my expectations. I was embarking on my law degree journey and that was my focus. Did I have the time to make and blog on a weekly basis during this time. I believe firmly a yes. But I did not choose to. I wanted to make the most of my first year. I have prepared quite a few posts prior to university and this is one of them. You may have seen an image from my instagram page
Its a play of two of my favourite: cupcakes and coffee.
Why not combine them into one gorgeous cupcake?
Hence why today I present espresso chocolate cupcakes with espresso frosting.
Cupcakes are so decadent and rich in flavour. They are definitely one of my favourite things to bake as they can be whipped up so easily.
Though you are not exposed to that sudden spark of energy an espresso can provide, you get a sumptuous bite of dare I say it coffee-heaven.
There’s this quote that I absolutely love about cupcakes. “You can’t buy happiness but you can buy cupcakes. And that’s kind of the same thing.”
Without a doubt this is true
Happiness = Cupcakes
So you think the cupcakes are coffee overload, wait till you hear about the frosting.
Who doesn’t love a good classic vanilla butter cream frosting, now imagine that with your favourite cup of espresso. It is pure bliss, no exaggeration necessary.
Espresso Chocolate Recipe
- 135g unsalted butter
- 100 g white sugar
- 25 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 110 g Self Raising Flour (Sifted)
- 50 g Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup espresso
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Mix in the eggs until combined
- Stir in the self-raising flour
- Sift in the cocoa powder
- Gradually add the espresso and mix
- Add the vanilla extract until mixture is thick and shines.
- Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes or use a stick to check whether centre has been cooked (the stick should come out clean )
- Remove to Cool
Espresso Frosting Recipe
- 200 grams Icing Sugar
- 100 grams Unsalted Butter (preferably at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the sugar, butter and espresso
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Chill in the fridge for about a half hour
- Remove and pipe onto each individual cupcake
– The Cake Architect